M&R Log 2021

A photo of Grace, launched and still in the lift harness.

The year 2021 marked the end of extensive boat repair projects that had started in 2020. Once I had removed the headliner from the cabin’s ceiling, I sanded the interior of the hull and paint several fresh coats of gelcoat wherever I could reach! I also built shelves below the v-berth to hold a 100Ah Battleborn LiFePO4 battery and simple head made from a 5-gallon bucket and toilet cover.

For Grace’s exterior, I took an all-out approach to deal with a number of issues, including softness in the core of the foredeck and a very slippery non-skid. I started by stripping Grace of her exterior hardware and rigging. From there, Ray Villalba and Lance Clifford did a great job replacing the core in a section of the foredeck and applying new gelcoat everywhere above the waterline. They sanded Grace’s exterior (I lent a hand when I could), sprayed tinted gelcoat accent stripes to the sidewalls in maroon and dark blue, sprayed white gelcoat throughout, and added a beautiful non-skid using a rubber product for texture and a tinted mustard gelcoat. Lastly, they applied new decals and a fresh coat of ablative bottom paint.

Yet to come…

  • Outboard service
  • Woodwork: teak handrail, mainsheet track support, and electrical panels
  • Brightwork
  • Instruments and electrical
  • Window replacement
  • Tracks, blocks and rebedding hardware
  • Bilge: I cleaned and reassembled the Bosworth Company Guzzler GH-M400D manual bilge pump system with new valves, diaphragms, and strainer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll Up